Sunday, March 30, 2008

Let it begin.

Since the Red Sox-A's series in Japan was a total joke, these still qualify as my preseason predictions:

AL West:
- Seattle (I doubt it will take many more than 90 wins to take this divison and I think the Mariners have the best staff and the best closer to do it)
- Angels (just too many injuries already - I also don't think Torii Hunter will make much of an impact)
- Athletics (if they still had Danny Haren I'd of picked them to win the division)
- Rangers (their only starter I can name without looking it up is Kevin Millwood and their closer is someone named "C.J.")

AL Central:
- Detroit (everyone focuses on the Cabrera acquisition, but Renteria is no joke either; I think this team will win the most games in baseball if they stay healthy)
- Indians (they'd win any other division)
- White Sox (should improve over lat year, but only just barely)
- Twins (their rotation: Livan Hernandez (R), Scott Baker (R), Kevin Slowey (R), Boof Bonser (R), Nick Blackburn (R) - their offense has improved, I think, but their starters are going to give up runs aplenty, right?)
- Royals (so sad)

AL East:
- Yankees (good lineup, good enough pitching, end of analysis - I hate talking about these f'ers almost as much as I hate talking about ...)
- Red Sox (... these f'ers)
- Blue Jays (if Halladay and Burnett stay healthy, this team could conceivably compete for their division, but that's a big if)
- (Devil) Rays
- Orioles (since I am stuck here, I will watch them, but this is a rebuilding year and I doubt they'll win 70)

NL West:
- D-Backs (this is a vote for Webb and Haren, more than anything)
- Padres (a vote for Peavy and Young, diminished by their crummy lineup)
- Rockies (why'd I put the NL representative in the World Series 3rd? Just don't believe in their staff)
- Dodgers (I don't believe in their lineup or their staff)
- Giants (crap)

NL Central (I will discuss it a lot during the season, let this suffice for now):
- Cubs (good lineup and good enough pitching ... ugh)
- Cardinals (this is admittedly optimistic - but I think we're gong to score plenty of runs
- Brewers (their youth movement continues, but I am not big on their rotation and
- Reds (blah)
- Pittsburgh (the Royals of the NL)

NL East:
- Braves (I just believe in this organization (and in Mark Teixeira spending an entire season with the club))
- Phillies (good lineup and, I think, more pitching than the Mets)
- Mets (good lineup, but one pitcher does not a pitching staff make)
- Marlins (crap)
- Nationals (turds)

The Mets or the Phillies will win the NL Wild Card, I think, and the Indians (or the Tigers if they don't win the division) will win the AL Wild Card. Tigers beat the Cubs in the World Series. I HATE that the Cards won't get it done this year, but they just don't have the horses. I think if Carpenter and Mulder were healthy we could compete for the penant, but that's just not the case.

No comments: