Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lohse is apparently pronounced "lōsh"

The Nationals broadcasters pissed me off throughout the entire game today. Losh this and Losh that. I was really getting aggravated. I thought it was pronounced Lowse. Then I looked it up and learned that Bob Carpenter (now with the Nats broadcasting team) and Don Sutton (a lunatic!) had it right. Anyways, even though I was displeased with the pronunciation, I was pleased with the context. "Lohse has retired 5 in a row," "Lohse pitched his way out of trouble," and "Lohse earns the victory." Great stuff all around!

I was also pleased with the broadcasters' mentions of Rick Ankiel's name, but that is becoming expected. Right?

Not to repeat myself, but are we really as bad as predicted? Bernie sees what I have seen (and he wrote the article before Sunday's game). The big picture: we are 5 - 1 and our only loss was a 2-1 game (granted, there is no excuse for losing to Kip Wells). We're 2-0 against lefties. Schumaker doesn't have a hit and Glaus is batting .190 and we're 5 - 1. I know it's early, I know we've only played two teams, but isn't all of this worth noting? One of the teams we beat is the reigning National League Champion and the other was 3-1 coming in, with wins over Atlanta and Philly. Our starters have a sub-1.00 ERA! Alright, I am going to stop gushing right now, but suffice it to say that I love what I am seeing.

1 comment:

Cardinal70 said...

It's been a good start to the season, hasn't it? Hope they bounce back tonight against Houston and can get the momentum back.

www.cardinal70.com