Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The newness and The Natural?

Tonight, rather than follow the Cards game online, I watched the Orioles and Nationals at a friend's house (a Nats fan with whom I shall argue this coming weekend when our teams face-off). I will therefore comment on what little I know and what I heard. I saw the box score, the highlights and the mlb.com summary, and I heard a friend call Rick Ankiel his old nickname, "The Natural."

First off, it sucks that Duncan got hurt. That said, what excites me most about this team is that someone else is going to be playing. I have seen Duncan. I like Duncan. I am fine with him being in the lineup, but I also like some of these other folks, some of them a lot. Take, for instance, Rico Washington. 11 years in the minors? More than 4,000 minor league at bats before his first major league hit? Then he cashes in with an RBI double! This is something I can get behind. Like I said, I like Duncan, but I like newness, and the excitement that comes with it, also. Looking at it from the proper perspective, this is an exciting time to be a Cards fan for just this reason - who will we meet next and what will the bring to the table?

All that having been said, I want to talk about a once proven, then broken, then completely irrelevant, then rising, then risen, then twice-broken, then ... Rick Ankiel. I am not going to make a big deal out of a good night. We all saw, all of us that looked for it, what Ankiel did last night. I am impressed, you should be, but it was still only one night. Let me leave it at this: enjouy this pure joy, this is good stuff.

2 comments:

Cardinal70 said...

It's nice to have some minor leaguers who we can look forward to "meeting" later in the year as well. It should be fun to see Rasmus, Mather, Garcia, Walters and Perez in St. Louis, perhaps by the end of the year.

The Fan said...

How could I forget to mention them? I can't wait to see these other guys make their way up. In Rasmus' case I certainly hope it is soon!