Thursday, April 9, 2009

Break It Down! April 10th Edition

The Pitchers:
- Cardinals: On Friday Joel Pineiro takes the bump for the Cardinals for the first time in 2009. (Editorial Note: For the remainder of this post, and maybe the remainder of the season, I will call Joel Pineiro "J.P." (I have been misspelling his name "Piniero").) J.P. had a good Spring by most accounts. He hasn't face the Astros since 1007, however, so Lord knows what he is going to do against the fellas. What I do know is that last season J.P.'s ERA was better at home than on the road, it was better during at night than during the day, and it was best during the month of April. A lot of signs point to J.P. pitching well, but I ain't convinced. I expect 6 IP, 3 or 4 runs allowed.
- Astros: Ten years ago Mike Hampton won 22 games for the Astros. That seems like a lifetime ago, right? Since then he has become generally regarded as the most fragile pitcher in baseball. Most recently, Hampton has bounced around a little bit, but he hasn't been terrible when he has been healthy. I'd expect a quality start from him, 6 or 7 IP, 3 or 4 runs allowed.

The Lineups:
- Cardinals: Albert Pujols (surprise!) and Khalil Greene have enjoyed some success against Hampton. I don't expect LaRue to get his first start of the season, he is only 2-for-11 against Hampton. Since Hampton is a lefty, Rasmus and Schumaker may sit.
- Astros: Carlos Lee (1.199 OPS), Lance Berkman (1.417 OPS) and I-Rod (.967 OPS) have had some success against J.P. Berkman and Lee have both homered twice off of J.P., but that may have been at Houston's juice box, I am not sure. Whatever the case, I am concerned about J.P.'s ability to get through the middle of this lineup.

UPDATE: Cards lineup:

1. Skip Schumaker, 2B
2. Khalil Greene, SS
3. Albert Pujols, 1B
4. Ryan Ludwick, RF
5. Chris Duncan, LF
6. Yadier Molina, C
7. Rick Ankiel, CF
8. David Freese, 3B
9. Joel Pineiro, P

Ankiel has fallen to 7th already?
Thanks, as always, to CardsClubhouse.

Well that's it in the way of analysis(?). Wish I were in St. Louis. GO CARDS!!

No comments: