Friday, April 17, 2009

Break It Down! April 18th Edition

The Pitchers:
- Cardinals: Kyle Lohse has been awesome so far this season. Just so you don't think I am being a total homer, the stats back me up. Lohse is 2-0 with a 1.13 ERA in 16 innings of work. This includes his shutout last week against Houston. All that having been said, I must note that Lohse was pretty mediocre against Chicago last year in three starts. To be precise, 18.1 IP and 13 runs for a 6.38 ERA. Conclusion: cautiously optimistic.

- Cubs: Something about Ryan Dempster just pisses me off. I don't know what it is. Anyways, he is 1-0 so far this season in 2 starts. 4.50 ERA. If Reed Johnson hadn't robbed Prince Fielder though, Dempster's ERA would be much higher. In three starts against the Cardinals last year, however, Dempster was 2-0 with a 2.90 ERA. That's pretty close to his 2.86 home ERA last season too. Ultimately I don't know what to expect from Dempster, but I assume will be 6-8 innings, 2-4 runs. Middle of the road.

The Lineups:
- Cardinals: Ludwick, Schumaker, LaRue, Molina, Duncan, and Pujols (surprise!) have all enjoyed some degree of success against Dempster, but I wouldn't say anyone has owned him. Then again, the Cardinals have scored more runs per game than any other team in the NL so far this season (6 per game). I feel alright about the Cardinals' ability to score runs against right-handed pitchers.

- Cubs: Alfonso Soriano, Ryan Theriot, Derrek Lee, and Aramis Ramirex have all enjoyed some success against Lohse in the past. I guess all these guys will start. Geovany Soto has sucked so far this season, but he has 3-for-8 against Lohse, so I assume he won't sit Saturday.

NOTE: This game is on national television, FOX, in theory. I am sure I will get stuck watching some friggin' AL East game. Whatever. Enjoy it if you get to see it.

Well that's it in the way of analysis(?). Wish I were in Chicago. GO CARDS!!

No comments: