Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Break It Down! - April 29th Edition

Busy, busy, busy. Site inspections make for a good tan, crappy analysis.

For today's "Break It Down!" post we have a special guest contributor, my dear friend Dave, who will be attending this evening's game. Go ahead, Dave.
* * *
Alright, I haven't actually had a chance to talk to Dave. However, since Dave attended Tuesday's game, I can fairly assume his post would go something like this:
I expect nothing less than unmitigated failure from everyone ... except maybe Pujols and Molina. We're completely miserable. Still, I am hopeful we will win.
Dave is smarter and better at writing/speaking/thinking than I am, so a degree of insight and eloquence should be factored in. Also, for those of you who aren't Dave, it is important to note that Dave is right more often than the rest of us. Place your trust in Dave. If only he had a blog ...

UPDATE: See Dave's analysis in the comments! Thanks, Dave.

2 comments:

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

First, about last night. That was a really annoying loss. I was sitting in the upper deck almost directly behind home plate, and it was apparent that the ump was calling outside strikes. I can't really complain though, because I feel like we were the beneficiaries of more than a few outside strikes. That said, I thought Albert's at-bat in the 9th was absolutely pathetic. Striking out looking in a one-run game in the top of the 9th? Terrible.

Interesting game though. The Braves are obviously horrible offensively (all the Braves fans repeatedly reminded me of this). They seem to have a knack for either hitting into double plays or creating outs on the basepaths. I figured we couldn't shut them out though. Sure enough, McClellan comes in in the 8th and directly throws a bunch of balls. As the old saying goes (I think this is in the Bible or something), "Walks will kill you in the late innings."

About tonight: we are facing Javier Vazquez. At least he's a righty. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure this guy (along with Kevin Brown) had a disastrous Game 7 ALCS outing with the Yankees. (I guess, in retrospect, that game changed my life. I hate the Red Sox more than anything else in the world. But I digress.)

Anyway, this should be a good game. I expect 6 or 7 solid innings from Wainwright, and probably the same from Vazquez. This has been a competitive series thus far with little offense, and I sort of think the trend will continue. The sooner we chase Vazquez, the better. The Braves' bullpen is even more disastrous than ours (Gonzalez's 3 Ks in the 9th last night notwithstanding).