Friday, April 10, 2009

Break It Down! April 11th Edition

The Pitchers:
- Cardinals: According to ESPN, "Adam Wainwright loves to see the Astros. He's 5-0 in his career against Houston, with a 2.14 ERA as a starter." My thoughts exactly. Still, Wainwright wasn't that good in his first start. WAY too many pitches. 5.2 IP and 5 walks aren't going to cut it. The Astros aren't quite as patient as the Pirates though, and I expect an improved performance. 6-7 IP, 1-3 runs.
- Astros: I can't stand Roy Oswalt. He used to own the Cardinals, I think. So I look it up and I am right, only Oswalt did not own the Cardinals last year. It was a small sample size (2 starts), but was 0-1 against the Cardinals last year with 6 ER in 13 IP - nothing stellar. Anyways, Oswalt was pretty sharp in his first start this season against a good lineup (the Cubs), and I expect him to make life difficult for the Cardinals tomorrow.

The Lineups:
- Cardinals: Albert Pujols (surprise!) is the Cardinals with any meaningful success against Oswalt. Molina has been crap against Oswalt (.100 BA), so I won't be surprised if Jason Larue (.276 BA) gets the start Saturday. Ludwick may also sit Saturday, but since he is one of the hottest hitters wearing the birds on the bat right now I'd be surprised if he has to sit.
- Astros: Lance Berkman has 2 dingers and a .300 BA against Wainwright. Everyone else has sucked against him, basically. Hunter Pence is off to a decent start this season, so maybe keep an eye on him. Ugh. I just can't stand these guys.

UPDATE: Matt Leach has today's Cardinals' lineup. Raises a few of the same issues that I did, and then some.

Well that's it in the way of analysis(?). Wish I were in St. Louis. GO CARDS!!

No comments: