Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Rainout, Boggs, Boyer and Barton, Of My!

- The rainout against the Cubs on Sunday apparently gave the bullpen a rest. That's cool. It also gave the Cardinals their first series loss of the season. I would love to put an asterisk next to it, but if it looks like a series loss and it feels like a series loss, it must be a series loss.

- Mitchell Boggs and a handful of others are in the running for the temporary (hopefully) position of fifth starter. Derrick Goold gives the nod to Boggs, which is fine with me I guess. I don't really care who pitches as long as they get results. If you tell me that Dave Duncan trusts Fredbird to throw strikes and command his fastball, then I will take it.

- The Cardinals added an eighth reliever on Monday. Don't get too excited though, Blaine Boyer had just been designated for assignment by the Braves, which means they mustn't have been too enamored with him. Boyer also comes over from the Braves in exchange for Brian Barton, who has been stinking it up in Memphis (.107 AVG) since having a pretty decent Spring. This should give Cards fans a lot of confidence:
Though the Cardinals plan to keep 13 pitchers only temporarily, Mozeliak insisted Monday's move is more than a quick fix. "I don't look at it as a Band-Aid at all," Mozeliak said. "We're looking to add depth in an area that needed it. Given some of the things we've had to face early this season. We see it as a positive. We want to put our best 12 out there."
Well, if Mozeliak insists then I guess it must not be a band-aid. Right.

- For the record, I hate the Mets and it is going to take a lot of willpower for me not to cuss repeatedly over the next few days. You've been warned.

No comments: